Section for our foreign language guests
Odpowiedz

Polish last name suffix changes?

08 wrz 2020, 21:09

I have found what I think to be several generations of my family using the Poznan Project data. However, I have a question about Polish last names.

I know that the male will have an -I while the female has an -a ending on their names, but is there a reason why last names would change more than that?

I found a record of the marriage of Catharina Przymusińska, with her parents listed as Michael Przymusińska and Petronella Filipińska.

When I looked for their marriage, I didn't find that couple, but did find a Michael Przymusik married to a Petronella Filipiak. The dates and locations seem to line up, however, which makes me think it's just a different way to write the last name. Is there a reason why last names ending in -k and -ak would be changed to -ńska?

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: Polish last name suffix changes?

08 wrz 2020, 21:51

Hello, that’s the beauty of Polish language :)

I am not 100% sure, but Przymusik seems to be normal, noun form of surname, Przymusińska is adjective form of name, often connected with father surname or name.

Regards
Hubert

10 wrz 2020, 01:02

Thanks Hubert.

Glad to know that it was likely the same people, and it is logical that the last names changed.

10 wrz 2020, 07:35

To make clear my previous message - Przymusik and Przymusińska is the same last name (surname), written in diferent grammar way :)

24 lis 2020, 20:49

https://culture.pl/en/article/a-foreigners-guide-to-polish-surnames
Odpowiedz