Section for our foreign language guests
Odpowiedz

Looking for information on my maternal Grandparents

09 lut 2015, 22:30

I am looking for any assistance or guidance anyone in the group may be able to give me.

My Mother's side of the family is of Polish ancestry. I never knew my grandfather but have some memories of my grandmother who passed when I was not quite 5. Unfortunately, my Mom passed away nearly 6 years ago before I became interested in genealogy ... and now that I am, I am having great difficulty trying to find information about my grandparents before they arrived in the US.

This is the information I have so far:

Dziadzi: Jozef Szczepaniak, approximate date of birth is May 21, 1872

Babci: Weronika (Rachuba) Szczepaniak, approximate date of birth is January, 1885
Father: Anthony Rachuba
Mother: Josephine (Szymanski) Rachuba

The birthplaces of my grandparents are listed as KONIN KALISZ on their youngest child's death certificate. Knowing that Poland did not exist at that time, I am having trouble locating a place to search for their birth and marriage records. I do know that my Dziadzi had a brother, Ludwik, who came to the US but do not know of any other siblings for either grandparent.

I did information about my Babci's arrival at Ellis Island confirming that she and my grandfather were married in Poland. Jozef arrived in the US before Weronika who arrived in the US on November 29, 1904.

If anyone can point me in a direction so that I can learn more about my grandparents, I would be forever grateful!

Re: Looking for information on my maternal Grandparents

27 lut 2015, 18:56

http://pgsa.org/2014_polish_parish_reco ... ojects.php www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl I have found that these two site have been helpful in my searches. the first one list different sites with a brief description. If you don't know Polish you can use Bing Translator or Google Translator. When you do find so document be prepared to try to translate script writing along with very old Polish, Russian and German. Good luck best regards Richard Pietrzyk

Re: Looking for information on my maternal Grandparents

28 lut 2015, 15:27

Thank you ... I will try the sites you recommended!!!
Odpowiedz